Thursday, March 13, 2008

"And hope does not disappoint..."

So, I've been reading in several places in the New Testament lately: reading through Hebrews and Acts, and then spending time in 1 Peter 2:4-12 and John 15:1-15 (meditating on the idea of remaining in Him and staying connected to the Vine), and 2 Peter 1:1-11 (meditating on life and godliness). Another passage that has been constantly running through my mind is Romans 5:1-5, which talks about faith and its journey in us towards the building up of godly character and hope that does not disappoint us.

This morning, I found myself in Hebrews 11 and was captivated by the last two verse in that chapter, which says this:
"These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect."
I have a note written in my margin indicating that when God makes us wait, it's because He has something better in mind, just as these verses tell us that God made the great saints of old wait to see the fulfillment of their promises, even until after death, because He had planned something better. I found myself convicted by the Holy Spirit of my impatience. I know full well how the Lord has plans for me (Jer. 29:11) and how His ways and thoughts are so much higher than my own (Is. 55:8-9), yet I still whine and complain that He isn't giving me what I want in the time frame in which I want it. I heard the Spirit whisper in my heart, "That isn't faith. That isn't hope. Your own impatience is the root of your disappointment, not my perceived tardiness in fulfilling what I've promised to do. Remember, I am not slow in keeping my promise, as some understand slowness. I am patient with you not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:7-8)." And as I confessed and repented of my sin of impatience and selfishness and self-centeredness, and as I asked the Lord to make me a more patient person in His divine power, which has given me everything I need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1: 3), I was reminded that patience causes us to persevere, and perseverance builds character, and character builds hope. "And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us (Rom 5:5)." And in the end it all works out for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes (Rom 8:28).

Thank you Lord. May your patience reign in me today producing a harvest of righteousness and peace through your loving discipline and perfect planning. Amen!

No comments: