Friday, March 24, 2006

So, I realized yesterday that I have been here in Mexico for almost a month!! That is so amazing to me becuase it really only feels like a couple of weeks. Maybe it's because we had teams here the first two weeks I was here, but the calendar says that I arrived on March 4, and it's definitely almost the beginning of April. Crazy how time flies!

So, I'm here to be an administrative assistant for Dave, specifically, and the rest of the staff in general. In that respect, we're all learning how to give me the administrative tasks that need to be done. I've done a lot of spreadsheet work so far, and though I don't know a whole lot about Excel, I'm definitely learning, especially thanks to a former coworker who is an Excel guru and doesn't mind when I email with questions about how to do very complicated formulas! Thanks Randy!!!

However, everyone here also has their own little ministry niches. I'm at the point where I need to start branching out and finding a ministry niche for myself that can be "accomplished" in three months--or, rather, two, now that the first month is almost gone. I've been thinking a lot about what I could do, but my still rather-limited speaking abilities get in the way. So, I'm going to try tutoring a little bit in reading. There are lots of kids in town who have a hard time with reading and writing, especially the writing because the curriculum doesn't have any sort of formal writing instruction--like how to make different letters, etc. So, I was talking with Kathy last night, and she suggested that maybe I try tutoring in reading; this would also be a good way for me to pick up more of the language while still stretching myself and challenging myself, and at the same time it's a very tangible way to reach out and minister to the needs around me.

So, today at 2 pm, I will be helping a young lad named Cecilio who usually comes to get aid from Kathy. He is ADD and also has a learning disability, but he's improving with the help of Kathy and a new school they've enrolled him in two days a week in Tuxpan. The session is only about a half hour, so if it goes terribly, neither of us will need to suffer for too long. :) I'm really excited about this. I know that tutoring in reading in Spanish is definitely something I can do, and it fits with my personality and interests and skills--at least I think it does. So, we shall see. Pray that it goes well, and please keep Cecilio in your prayers. He's in 2nd grade, though he should be in 3rd, but he is only on a 1st grade level as far as reading, writing and other educational knowledge is concerned. How frustrating that must be for him! Pray that he will be able to see his progress and be encouraged by it, and for wisdom for Kathy and I as we try to help!

On another note, we have another team coming in a week. They arrive April 1, and there are 33 of them, mostly high-schoolers! Pray that I will get to sleep while they are here as their living/sleeping/hang-out quarters are right outside my window! One of the things they'll be doing while here is continuing work on the new church we are constructing. We are hoping to finish the wall foundation around the property. The last three teams got the foundation for 2 1/2 walls completed, and this team should finish that up! It's going to be a BIG facility--57 meters x 35 meters! Here are some pictures.

The picture to the right is the corner that you're looking towards in the picture on the left.

Now for some fun Mexican culture stuff! Apparantly the first day of spring is a big deal here. The beginning of this week was the first day of spring as celebrated in the US (Monday) and as celebrated in Mexico (Tuesday). The schools were closed here for BOTH! And then yesterday they had their Desfile de la Primavera--Spring Parade. It's something that the Kinder does (elementary school). Several girls and several boys are chosen to be kings and queens and princesses and princes of spring, and all the rest of the kids are supposed to dress up as animals (or whatever constumes they can get, like superman and pikachu and buzz lightyear! hah!). Then they decorate several pickup trucks like the floats that the princes/princesses/kings/queens ride in and wave to people from and throw candy and such. So cute! They go all out for this thing! But it was really cute! Enjoy the pics!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have trees on the inside of your new church's walls!!! Are there people to come and help get them out?

Love and peace,
Heather