Friday, June 22, 2007

Numb

I'm really numb. I can't make decisions. Sometimes it's even difficult to talk. All I seem to be able to do well at this point is just sit and listen....or....something.

A friend emailed and asked how I was feeling. This was my response:

I have realized that the word "dead" or "died" no longer mean anything to me. What I mean by that is I can't compute them. I think to myself, "Chris is dead", and I find that my mind doesn't know what that means. It's like when you try to spit something out the window of a moving car, and it just comes right back at your face if you don't do it just right. I think death is the same way for those of us left behind. If the person who's dying or died doesn't do it the "right" way, that is in a way that we can begin to grasp the reality of it, then it's like the concept that they are dead never arrives to a place of comprehension...or it does eventually, but it takes a lot of spitting out that window to get the right angle so that it doesn't come back in the window or splat all over the car. I think I'm still spitting out the car and giving myself a bath right now.

Everytime I try to think, I just get smacked in the face somehow. So my brain has stopped thinking beyond what is necessary to get through the day.

I'm home for a week. I flew in tonight, and I go back a week from tomorrow. The memorial service is Monday night.

2 comments:

Jody and Ruth Been said...

amber,

we love you and are praying for you and your whole family.

no words of wisdom.. no platitudes. love you.

ruthie

Sandra Plett said...

Hey Amber,
Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you, and praying. Especially today...from what I understand the memorial is today. I hope you and your family are able to remember some of the wonderful times with your brother.