Thursday, May 11, 2006

May Update

Hello everyone!

Well, May has begun, and I'm beginning to realize how little the time is that I have left here in Mexico! Just over three weeks from now I'll be at home in Virginia with family and friends once again; I'm so excited to see everyone and to catch up on all that these three months have held, both for all of you as well as for me!

The last month has been simultaneously busy and not busy. I know that seems contradictory, but it's true! April began with a short-term team from Washington consisting of about 30 youth. They did construction work on our new church in the mornings, and in the afternoons they hosted a VBS Kids Club for 125 kids! None of us even knew there were that many kids in this area--they just seemed to come out of the woodwork. It was quite enjoyable to watch the Americans getting to know the Mexicans and the love that was poured out during that time! I have also continued to help Dave Elias, our base director, with administrative tasks, and I continue to learn more about what goes on here on a regular/daily basis.

The most significant development for me this month has been the opportunity to spend time with several girls from Arrayanes. They range in age from 16 to 23. Some are married and some are single; however, all of them love the Lord and desire to grow closer to Him and deeper in their faith-walk. I've had a wonderful time hanging out with them as a group as well as getting to spend time with each of them one-on-one. We have had two pajama parties, and lots of girl talk. Last weekend, Faith and I took a group of the youth to the beach; the girls went as well, and we enjoyed lots of fun and laughs and good talks on the beach all day.

The Lord has used the time spent with these girls to begin unveiling a vision in my heart for a ministry here in Cofradia. Therefore, the decision has been made for me to return to Mexico in August, first to Guadalajara to attend Harvest Language Center for 4 months, a language school designed specifically for missionaries to Mexico. and then back to Cofradia for at least 1 1/2 to 2 years. My goal for returning is to minister to the young ladies in this area. At this time there is no ministry geared specifically towards the young women. They have the opportunity to learn and be discipled in corporate settings (meaning co-ed youth group or family groups), but there is nothing specifically just for them, no one here with a vision to minister in ways that are specific to a woman's heart. As I've grown to know the girls in Arrayanes and seen the lack of teen female presence in the Cofradia church, this has become a desire that has grown in my heart--to return here and to minister in this way through corporate Bible study as well as individual discipleship and mentoring. The staff here have agreed that this fits well into the overall vision of our ministry base, which is to spread the gospel and make disciples, training up leaders who can then turn around and do the same in order to build and strengthen the body of Christ in this area and to spread the gospel into other towns and people groups. I'm simultaneously petrified and excited, but the Lord keeps bringing me back to Jeremiah 1:5, 7-8:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you...Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you..."

I know that the Lord will strengthen me for the work He wants me to do, and therefore I have nothing to fear.

Since my time at home this summer will be time set aside primarily for fund-raising, I need to begin now raising support for my summer at home. I will be in the U.S. from June 3 until the end of August; language school begins Aug 28, so I will have around 2.5 months to make necessary arrangements and to raise support for my months at language school as well as for my time on staff in Cofradia. I would like to ask each of you to prayerfully consider either continuing in your financial support or partnering with me financially for the first time. I am still working on my budget for the months at language school and my time in Cofradia; however, for my time home this summer I need to raise $1700/month. My biggest need right now is for monthly supporters--those willing to support me on a monthly basis with contributions of at least $25, $50, or $100 each month. Please prayerfully consider committing to partner with me and investing in the Kingdom of God in Mexico in this way.

If you are interested in financially supporting me, whether monthly or with a one-time gift, there is a safe, secure and trouble free way of donating via automatic Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). This is a giving option where funds can be transferred from your checking, savings, or credit card electronically, and you can even set it up to deduct your contribution on a monthly basis automatically if you decide to become a monthly partner. You can also mail checks made out to "Alternative Missions, Inc." to:

Alternative Missions, Inc
P.O. Box 5835
Goodyear, AZ 85338

Should you decide to write a check, DO NOT write anything on your check concerning how you want the money designated; this information needs to be written on a separate piece of paper and included in the envelope with the check. Regardless of which method you may choose to use, your donations are tax-deductible, and once the head office receives your donation, a receipt will be mailed to you. I do ask, should you decide to partner with me in this way, that you please simply email me and let me know so that I may keep track of that and be sure to thank you appropriately and keep you updated on all that you are helping to do here.

Your continued prayer support is invaluable to me. I covet your prayers daily, and I'm trusting that the Lord is continuing to bless each and every one of you. I have enjoyed hearing stories from some of you about how life is going in the states and how your families are doing and growing. What a joy to be able to continue to share in your lives even from such a great distance! How truly amazing it is to be part of the Family of God, knit together at the heart! Please keep checking my blog to find out more details about what is going on in my life and with our ministry here in Cofradia and the surrounding area. There are also pictures posted in the blog entries, and there are links to more pictures as well as to other staff who keep a blog, etc.

Thank you all once again, and I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you all soon!!!

FACE TO FEET
ams :)

PS: In case the links to Harvest Language Center, the Electronic Funds Transfer, and my blog are not functioning, their web addresses are:

http://www.harvestlanguagecenter.org/
https://www.egivingsystems.org/support/42705/
http://amberinmexico.blogspot.com

No comments: