Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sunday in the Arrayanes church, Horacio preached on fear. His main text was Matthew 8:23-26 where Jesus calms the storm. Before he does so, however, he rebukes His disciples saying, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" He also referenced 2 Timothy 1:7: "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."

These verses really struck me hard, because I find myself being attacked by fear daily--fear that maybe I am hearing God wrong, fear that I really don't have much to offer, fear that I'm going to mess things up or undermine progress already made here, etc. But today as I was meditating some more on these two verses, I came across a passage in Matthew 10 where Jesus sends his 12 disciples out to minister and heal and preach. He warned them that they would suffer for Him, but He encourages them by saying, "On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you" (v. 18-20). I was really encouraged by this in light of the other scriptures on fear because whether or not I am ever arrested, etc., the truth is still true for me that it is never my effort that makes the difference but the effort made by the Spirit THROUGH me. I am the vessel, but HE is the living water, the bread of life, etc.

Gollo had talked in the Cofradia church about how doubt is the absence of faith. Well, according to that passage in Matthew 8, so is fear. But the truth is that I have nothing to fear because it should never be me speaking or acting or attempting to change anything. It should always be the Spirit of my Father speaking and acting and moving through me to produce HIS change in this world. I need only to believe, to have faith in HIM, to focus on HIM. I have nothing to fear when it is only me and HIM. If anything depended on me, well we'd be in trouble, but it doesn't. And because of that I can be bold; I can walk forward in power, in love, in self-discipline, in faith. I can speak without fear because I know the Son and the Son knows the Father and reveals Him (also in Matthew).

All that to say I have been really encouraged this weekend. We had a group here Friday and Saturday from La Fuente Church in Tepic. They led us in worship, and Dwight (their pastor and brother to Linea Hacket, co-founder of Alternative Missions) preached, and Pocho (the worship leader of La Fuente and a very gifted musician) even spent some time with the youth on the two worship bands on Saturday, teaching and encouraging them. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and corporate worship and learning, etc. And then two wonderful sermons on Sunday that spoke directly to where my heart is right now. It is so wonderful to be surrounded by such an incredible family--the Body of Christ--and to be encouraged by the one who knows and loves me best! Thank you Lord!!

No comments: