Monday, June 05, 2006

Well, I'm back in the states, and part of me really can't believe it's not just a dream! It's such a weird way to exist when where you are feels like a dream and where you WERE also feels like a dream...it's like there's no place that feels more real than any other place. That is so strange for me! I'm not sure why, but it just is.

I have changed my cell plan so that I can call between the U.S. and Mexico, so I was able to call the girls today and let them know that I have arrived safely and find out how they are. My plan is to call them each week to keep up with how they are and to try and continue to encourage them to grow and step out in faith over this summer. On the phone today, Sandy shared with me that Jay has spoken with her father about the possibility of her (on the right in the pic) and Lupe (on the left in the pic) attending YWAM's DTS school in Mazatlan either in July or January. It's a six-month discipleship training program where the first three months are classes and the second three months are outreach, either in Mexico or abroad. The girls are very excited about the idea, and they had both already expressed that they desire to be missionaries one day; however, they have to raise support for this since it will cost at least $2500 for each of them, possibly more if they end up going on an oversees outreach (which is decided after the start of each semester's program). Since they don't really have the resources to do this, the missionaries will be seeking to help by finding folks in the states who would like to help support the girls through this program.

Just before I left, I really felt led to encourage Sandy to really step out and seek out opportunities to be the leader that she has in her to be. I had received a quote in an email devotion that I shared with her: "We never become truly spiritual by sitting down and wishing to become so. You must undertake something so great that you cannot accomplish it unaided" (Phillips Brooks). When I shared this quote with her and explained what it meant, she seemed to understand, but I got the feeling she had no idea yet what
she could do that was that big in their little town where life's pretty "boring" and everyone knows everyone. But as she was telling me about the developments for the possibility of attending this DTS, she shared that all this has kept on her mind and heart that quote that I gave her and the explanation of it--that this is something SO BIG that she could never accomplish it on her own. She said, "we just have to pray for the Lord to help us."

How awesome to see this girl who seemed to have her hope fading when I first met her to be tightening her grip again and letting herself dream and walk toward what seems absolutely impossible for man knowing that nothing is impossible for God.

If you are interested in helping Sandy and Lupe, please email me and I'll put you in touch with the right person. Regardless, please pray that the Lord would make clear His will for these two girls regarding DTS, either by providing the money to attend or by making it clear that He has other things in mind instead of DTS. And please pray that no matter what the Lord's answer that these two girls would "go out in joy and be led forth in peace" (Is. 55:12) and that they would have the joy of the Lord as their strength no matter what the result. Pray that they would BELIEVE that God can do all things and that whatever the answer, He has only His BEST in store for them!

1 comment:

Jody and Ruth Been said...

Amber,
This sounds awesome... to see the realm God is calling you to serve in. May He make your path fruitful and filled with His peace and presence.

Love,
Ruthie