Saturday, November 10, 2007

Flooded...

So, today, in the middle of our evangelism weekend, my apartment flooded. Yes it did!

Here's the irony of the last few days. Thursday night and Friday night I was awakened in the middle of the night by mad itching on each of my arms (one on Thurs. and the other on Fri.) resulting from mosquito bites received while blissfully sleeping and even dreaming. However, even in my dreams the itching would start and would eventually wake me up. I would then find these huge welts and my whole arm itching from reaction. Each night I got up (this being about 2 am) and spent some time trying to ease the reaction with benedryl creme and after bite liquid. Then I spent time finding those blasted mosquitoes so that I would not be woken again for the same reasons. Thursday night I killed one. Friday night I killed three and was aware of a fourth but he flew out of my room before I could catch him. So, I just shut the door to keep him out, which worked.

So, last night I went to bed praying desperately for the Lord to reveal to me that fourth mosquito before I went to sleep so that I could sleep the whole night without being woken up in the middle of the night with more bug bites.

I did sleep through the night....only to wake up in the morning to an inch of water covering all three rooms of my apartment! Everything was SOAKED! I vaguely remember hearing water running in my bathroom about 10 minutes before my alarm went off, but in my sleepy delerium, I thought someone was in the shower (even though no one else is currently sharing my bathroom). But when my alarm went off at 7, I got out of bed to go turn it off and stood up in a pool of water. That woke me up fast, and I raced to get Dave.

The irony: the two nights when there was no good reason to be awake in the middle of the night, I am awakened. But the one night it would have been good to have been awakened for some reason, I sleep quite contentedly and peacefully and then have to clean up a flood! Go Figure!!!

Turns out the hose that runs to the tank on my toilet broke off from the tank and was flooding my apartment for about an hour before I woke up. Dave and I spent an hour squeegeeing water out of my apartment. Then Cunda (a local woman who often works for us when we have teams) came and helped me clean up and dry off my floor and put all my WOOD furniture up on blocks. Yes, ALL my furniture is wood!

Then Sandy helped me dry off the bottom of all the furniture and get all the rest of the stuff dried off as much as possible. As it is, half my stuff is spending the night outside still drying out or waiting until the floor is dry enough to have something sitting on it without causing mold to grow underneath.

Mold is the biggest concern now. It's still pretty humid here and hot. It's not unbearably hot like it was this summer, but it's still in the 90s easy by 11 am. And the humidity is generally around 90% by the afternoon. So, all my windows and my door were open all day to dry stuff out today, and tonight I shut all the windows and doors and turned on the AC that is in my bedroom. Usually that is only for cooling my bedroom, and I only use it (usually) from about May through September/October. If it's really humid at night then I'll turn it on, but usually by this time of year it's not necessary because the nights are starting to get really cool. However, Dave said that in order to keep the humidity down in my apartment to prevent mold from setting in, I need to keep the AC on all day and night for the next several WEEKS! So, this will be an interesting change of atmosphere in my apartment. :)

Anyway, of course this happened in the middle of our evangelism weekend. We have a pastor visiting from Seattle (Rafael Gradilla). He's Mexican, but he lives and pastors in Seattle. He's been down here before, but it was before my time. I am really enjoying his preaching. Last night he did a service just for the church on leadership and the blessings and responsibilities that holds for us if we are faithful in the little.

Today we had an evangelistic service in the NEW CHURCH facility!!!! It is the first time we've had any events in that facility. It's not anywhere near to being finished. There isn't even a roof on the sanctuary yet. But we just got electricity this week, and the sanctuary floor and platform are completed (in Feb and March), so we had what we needed to do this. Tonight the sermon was on "Excellency of the name of Jesus Christ". It was GREAT! And the ministry time after both services was such a welcome time. The Lord is working! It's neat to hear stories, and it's neat to be ministered to for once in a great while!

Tomorrow morning at our Sunday service, the pastor will preach again, this time on "Living under the filling and guidance of the Holy Spirit." I'm excited to hear it. This is reviving type stuff. And there were a ton of people who came forward tonight to receive Christ or to receive prayer for their needs.

Keep us in prayer the rest of this weekend please, and especially going into the next weeks and months as that's when the spiritual high starts to where off and the rubber starts meeting the road!

And please pray AGAINST mold in my apartment because once that sets in, it's really difficult to really get rid of it!

No comments: