Saturday, December 15, 2007

Book Review

So, I've been trying to discipline myself to do more reading...of various types of genres. I'm not the best at maintaining more than one book at a time. But, I've realized the lack in my life that different types of books provide, so I'm trying to diversify.

One book I recently finished is called Coming Home to Myself. It is Wynonna Judd's memoirs. Now, I'm a big fan of the Judds before Wy went solo, and I read Naomi's autobiography when that came out in the 90s. But that book ended with the end of the Judds as a group and the start of Wy's solo career. So, when I saw this book in the airport bookstore back in June, I was excited because I wanted to know more about what happened once she went solo, and also I wanted to read about her perspective of all that's happened in her life, both professionally and personally!

I recently finished this book, and I really liked it! Because it's memoirs, instead of an autobiography, it reads very much like a conversation. I really like that she goes chronologically through her life yet periodically inserts reflexions or thoughts or evaluations of her experiences or of life in general, etc. It was a very easy read, and it was very pleasant. She has experienced a lot in life, and the Lord has definitely taught her and grown her a lot as well! I definitely recommend this book! It was enjoyable and informative and definitely provided a lot of food for thought!

I'm currently reading Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, which is about maintaining "Living Room Intimacy" with the Lord while participating in "Kitchen Service". It's about learning how to have both simultaneously and in proper proportions, rather than having simply one or the other, which is not healthy nor is it really what the Lord wants. It's about learning how to choose "the better part" and how to let the rest flow from that choice.

Being on the mission field, it's very easy to let the service and to-do lists take over life and not take sufficient care of the intimacy part of my life. When I was living in the states, I certainly experienced effects in my job when there was a lack of intimacy with the Lord, but they were the same effects I experienced in any other area of life, and those effects didn't hinder me from at least being able to complete my job and meet my goals. However, being a missionary, all of a sudden my personal relationship with the Lord plays a much larger role in actually being able to do my job. So, I'm really enjoying it, but I'm taking my time so that the principles can sink in well and take root in my own life! I'm trying to avoid the whole "burnout" phenomena, and I believe that these principles will go a long way in helping me with that!

And for fun, I've decided to dive into some serious literature. I've picked up Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I've never read any of the classic Russian literature, and I just have this idea that my literary sensibilities are not well-rounded enough for that lack. So, I'm trying to fill in the gaps of my literary education! I am also trying to keep my critical thinking skills sharp, and reading the classics is always a good way for me.

And in the end, I've picked back up with My Utmost for His Highest. This is such a precious devotional for me. I go through phases with this one where I spend days and weeks reading it regularly, and then I'll go months without using it. But it's the only devotional that I've ever found that works for me. It challenges me, and it brings conviction; yet at the same time I find comfort and encouragement for the journey in the midst of it all. I'm enjoying soaking up the Scripture he points to, and the prayer time is always sweet!

So, these are my picks for now! If you have any good book recommendations of varying genres, please let me know! I'm always keeping a list, and I'm really trying to be better disciplined in my reading, so post away with your thoughts and recommendations!

No comments: