Thursday, April 13, 2006

cultural education

So, the cultural educating never ends around here! I'm constantly learning something new here that forces me to unlearn something I thought was just "the way it's done" in my American life!

I was told last night that for Mexicans, to say someone is fat is not an insult in the least. They use it all the time--it's just something they say, and often it's a compliment more than an insult, which is very backwards for us! But for them to associate any of their characteristics with an animal is HIGHLY offensive because it's like you could think them an animal. They do not value pets like we do in the states--your dog is just a dog, and it's got a job to do and that's really the only reason you have it. It's nowhere close to being man's best friend and is certainly not a member of the family! So, never compare a Mexican to an animal of any kind! And if they happen to tell you you're fat, don't worry, they are not insulting you!

No comments: