Thursday, July 06, 2006

So, I was reading the other day in John 9 about when Jesus healed a man born blind. The manner of healing this time was that Jesus spit in some mud, put it on the man's eyes, and told him to go wash in the Pool of Siloam, and the man was healed! There are so many words in the Bible that don't translate. They are mostly names of places or people, and I always find myself wondering what they mean. Siloam is one of those words. Turns out it means "sent" or perhaps even "one who has been sent".

This word has stuck with me over the last few days, and I have ended up adding it to the title of this blog (just in case you hadn't noticed yet) because that's exactly what the Lord has done with my life...He has sent me! But I was really struck by the possible deeper meaning of the connection between being sent and being healed. First of all, this man was sent in order to be healed--he had to go to the pool and wash in it. And then immediately after his healing, he ends up having to basically testify about what happened to him and about who Jesus was because of the pharisees' investigation into his healing!

But for me personally, there has definitely been a connection between being sent and being healed--that is that the more I am healed, the more He sends me; and the more I walk in that calling, the more I see the proof of that healing and growth. Jesus said that he who has been forgiven much, loves much, and also that he who is responsible with a little will be given more. It seems to me that the more He heals us, the more He asks of us, and even if we don't understand what or why He is asking of us, we must obey. For me, as I have sought to obey, I find that He is putting together large pices of a huge puzzle. These are pieces that never really fit together, and I just could not figure out what picture they would make, what explanation could possibly come from their existance. Now, I'm here in this place in my life, and in the process of obeying the call, all of these pieces have supernaturally moved into place, and I find myself seeing the evidence of healing and growth and maturity, and I'm overwhelmed by the great work of God in my life!

He healed me of my blindness, and continues to clear my vision more and more. Now He is sending me, and I find more and more healing, restoration, and wholness as I walk where He sends me. I pray that my testimony of the work of God in my life will only ever echo this man's testimony:

"One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" ~John 9:25

No comments: