Monday, July 10, 2006

Something really cool happened today! I went to get my oil changed! Let me explain...

The Lord saw fit several years ago to bless me with a wonderful mechanic at our local Firestone; his name is Carson. He was so good to me and my roommate throughout all our car woes. Then he got a promotion and moved to a store farther north. When I moved north, I was able to start taking my car to his new store, which became an even larger blessing because I discovered that another one of the mechanics, Mike, from that earlier store had moved up with him also! All of this right as I started having major car troubles..and right before going to Mexico! Anyway, the result was that I spent many a hours there waiting on my car and was able to get to know the two of them a little better as well as the receptionist, Barbara, who is just a dear sweet woman! Mike and Carson are Christians; don't know about Barbara, but she listened enthralled to all my stories from my Christmas Mexico trip.

So, I have been looking forward to seeing them all again after returning from Mexico and letting them know how things went and what's up next, etc. Today's oil change was just that opportunity! I went in early because this store doesn't take appointments. Mike and Barbara were there, and Mike got my car right in. The first blessing was that I got to share with Mike and Barbara about going back to Mexico and what the plan is for that; I also got to catch up a little on what has been going on with their lives the last few months. The second was that it only took 45 minutes, which is the shortest oil change I've ever gotten! And then I went up to pay and ask Mike if he needed my card (because sometimes they just look it up in the system), and he told me no because it was on him! That's right, folks...I got a free oil change!

I know that doesn't sound like much, but I don't have a job and I'm walking in serious faith this summer concerning my finances. Bill due dates are looming right now and my checking account is low and I'm nowhere near my budget goal, nor have monthly gifts really begun to come in regularaly yet. I don't say that to illicit pity but rather to illustrate that whereas normally $25 doesn't seem like much, it's a whole lot for me right now! I've been spending many a night praying for peace and increased faith over the last couple of weeks, especially after the lights go out at night and the anxiety starts to try and creep in. But every time something has come up so far, the money has arrived just in time. I've had to depend on God for my finances before, but this is a whole new level of that and the Lord continues to show Himself faithful. And not only that but it was through the most unlikely of places; I certainly wasn't fretting about how to pay for the oil change, but God used that anyway, not just to bless me but to bless Mike too, I'm sure! This turned out to be an opportunity for him to bless someone else, and he took God up on that opportunity; I'm excited for him because I know that the Lord will bless him mightily for it! How cool to be able to be there to witness a moment like that! What an awesome God we serve!!!

Anyway, it was a wonderful way to greet my day and my week. I drove home with the biggest smile on my face because I was reminded of just how much God deeply, passionately, and joyfully loves me and wants to include me in His works and will move heaven and earth to do so! All that from a little ole' oil change! Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Jody and Ruth Been said...

KEEP TRUSTING HIM, DEAR ONE!

The funds will come.

Love you!
Ruthie

Laura said...

It's so amazing to watch God work in the small areas of life as well as in the big areas, isn't it? And I'm praying that he'll make a way for you to come here to see us and stay for a few days!