Thursday, July 19, 2007

Brokenness

Brokenness is not easy. When it comes, not only do I find myself repentant for the things over which I'm being broken, but also for the fact that I needed breaking in the first place -- for the fact that I was so hard set in my ways that I could not be molded, but instead had to be broken. I know that God's discipline is out of love, but what parent would tell you that it doesn't hurt them even more than their child when discipline is necessary? And thinking of the fact that I've caused God pain is yet another thing that heaps up the godly sorrow that brings repentance.

James tell us this:
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it -- he will be blessed in what he does."
Looking intently into that mirror of God's perfect law of freedom does not always bring brokenness. Sometimes, we look into that mirror, see the truth, and act on it, thereby avoiding brokenness and pleasing the Lord. But when we walk away and forget, brokenness becomes necessary, and it is truly unforgettable. Thanks be to the God who loves me enough to make sure I don't forget, even if it will hurt us both to do so!

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ~Micah 6:8

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding." ~Ps. 111:10

No comments: