Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fiesta time...and then goodbyes...

So, when Sally and I first arrived in our new home in Guadalajara, Romel and Angeles kept telling us that normally their house is full of people on Thursday nights after church. The church we attended with them is called La Carpa. That means The Tent, because when the church first started meeting they litterally met inside a big tent and couldn't think of another name for it. Since that name was pretty well stuck by the time they built a solid building, they continued using it. I think it's a great name for a church and has a lot of spiritual implication attached to it, actually...

But anyway, Pastor Moi is pastor of La Carpa, as well as another church called La Roca (The Rock) which meets underneath his house about an hour away. La Carpa has services on Sunday nights at 6 (MST) and Thursday nights at 7 (MST), and then the youth group meets on Saturdays at 5 pm (MST). Also attending this church is the family of Chayo and Luis, Erika's parents--their family includes Erika, her sister Leslie, and their older brother Israel. Romel and Angeles kept telling us that their house was always full after services on Thursdays with the families of Pastor Moi and of Chayo and Luis. But the whole time that Sally and I were there, they never did this! One Thursday Caleb and Moillito, the sons of Pastor Moi came over to have dinner with us after the service, but that certainly wasn't a house full. The week before I left, Sally and I challenged them on this, so they invited Moi's family and Chayo's family over for dinner after the service. It was a last minute thing, so there wasn't much prepared other than beans and tortillas, but we all had quite a good time! We girls (Sally, me, Christina, Erika, Leslie, and Melly) moved the love seat outside the front door with a card table. We ate there and played Killer Uno until everyone left.


L-R: Christina with Jair, Erika, Me, Melly, Leslie, Sally
We had all we needed for a good time: Uno cards, food, and COFFEE!!! with Vanilla Siced Chai creamer...thanks Daddy and Kathy! They all loved the creamer!


The house was packed to bustin', and everyone had a great time! We laughed a lot and played cards, and just had a good time. It was such a beautiful night: the air was cool and the moon was full. I really enjoyed the fellowship time with these wonderful friends. They really feel like family to me, and that is such an incredible blessing being so far away from my friends and family back in the states! I couldn't have ask for more!

Well, we also planned to do this again the following Thursday which was two days before I left to come back to Cofradia. Only this time it was planned, so everyone had agreed to prepare food to bring. The thing is that afternoon there was this incredibly freakish storm with hail and high winds and everything!!! It was quite insane. I took a video of it. If I can ever figure out how to post a video on here, then I will, but until then, these pics will have to suffice...


Rain, hail, and wind outside looking out the front window

Josue watching the rain out the back door in my room

Our power went out as a result of the storm and was out until 7:45 the next morning. The picture of the flame is one I took of the candle we had in the middle of the table that night. We went to church, though a little late (as usual), and hardly anyone was there. It was a very intimate setting for worship and study, and it was perfect for my last service at the church. I really enjoyed it. After church, even though we had no power, the families of Moi and Chayo still came over for dinner and we celebrated well, though by candlelight. It was pretty cool. When it was time for everyone to leave, there were hugs and well-wishes all around for me, since it was the last time I would see those dear folk. Each one of them is precious to me, but it was hardest to say goodbye to Erika. I miss her dreadfully already, but I know the Lord will bring us back together for visits in the future...it's just the waiting that stinks. :)

After everyone left, Romel and Angeles went to Oxxo to get coffee and desert (since we had no power for the coffee maker), and we proceeded to play Phase 10, another card game that we enjoy at home. It was a really great night, and I really enjoyed have all the people I care about the most all in one place, especially by candlelight.



No comments: