Thursday, October 05, 2006

September-early October Update

Hello to all from Guadalajara!

Well, October has begun, and sometimes it's hard to believe that fall is arriving! I find myself missing the colors on the trees and the cooling of the weather, but this time of year in Mexico is quite enchanting in its own way as well, so I am enjoying it while I can. Guadalajara is MUCH cooler than Cofradia right now, and since I will be returning to Cofradia in just over a week, I'm trying to enjoy the cooler weather while I can!

September has been a busy but enjoyable month! It started off with a visit to Cofradia! I was able to surprise the girls quite well--they were speechless for many minutes, but it didn't take long for us to all start in on catching up on lost time! They spent the night with me one night that weekend, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely! It was wonderful to see everyone again and I'm looking forward to being back there full time, though the nerves are beginning to grow a little stronger as well. Please keep my return in your prayers--safe travels and smooth transitions, etc.

Speaking of the girls, though, I wanted to update all of you on Sandy and Lupe; the last I heard they had both said they would like to pursue attending YWAM Discipleship Training School in Mazatlan in January, and the missionary staff in Cofradia is working on trying to raise support for them. I'm still in the process of trying to find out how that process is going, but please keep these two in your prayers. They need peace from the Lord and strength to follow through in obedience no matter what that may look like. I know that Sandy is experiencing doubt and attacks of apathy. She is still waiting on the Lord, but I know that this has been quite a discouraging time for her. Please keep them in your prayers.

Another exciting thing is that Sandy has asked me to be her mentor! I'm very excited for this opportunity and to see what the Lord has in store for her! The potential in her is very obvious but whether or not it is realized has a lot to do with her! Please keep that in prayer as well--wisdom for me, and a willing heart on her part. I've also had the chance to spend lots of quality time with her younger sister, Mili, who is visiting family here in Guadalajara. We have had a good time hanging out and talking about anything and everything. It is an opportunity that I have not had much of with Mili in Cofradia, so I've been taking advantage of it. However, this time has been difficult for her because her fam here is not Christian nor are any of her friends. She also has not yet found a church here. So, please keep her in your prayers during this time as well.

September has also been a month of celebrating--lots of birthdays AND Mexican Independence Day (Sept 15-16). It has been quite an enjoyable time of cake and cultural experiences! I've also had the opportunity this month to get to know a Mexican girl named Erika. She is 23 and a teacher in the school, though for young children. We have enjoyed our time together, and it has been very encouraging for my heart to be able to develop the kind of friendship we seem to be enjoying! Both of us are quite "loca" (spanish for crazy, in feminine form because we are girls!), so we spend hours upon hours talking and laughing. I'm so thankful to the Lord for the people that he is puting in my life here in Gudalajara, especially. The support and love and friendship are amazing, and they are filling in the gaps created by being so far from all of you. It's amazing to see how the Lord meets my needs in such specific and loving ways..and so creatively as well!

Exams are upon me in my classes. Next week is only three days of quizzes and final exams, and then we're done. Our graduation ceremony is actually on Monday after classes are over. I'm looking forward to celebrating and fellowshiping with the rest of the students as I have not had much time with them during these couple months. We are all enjoying Killer UNO (it's quite addicting and all the Mexicans who have learned this game LOVE IT) and Dutch Blitz and Phase 10 (all are card games) these last couple of weeks, so we're looking forward to good food (tacos!), good fun, cards, and fellowship! A few days after classes end I will be heading back to Cofradia and jumping in!

Well, my time online is running short, so I will sign off now. Thank you all for your prayers and support. Know that I miss each and every one of you and am so thankful for your love, support, and prayers! They are such precious treasures for me and I'm so thankful for what you each add to my life!

Grace and peace to each of you!

FACE TO FEET
ams :)

No comments: